The Fraser Basin Council is a charitable non-profit organization devoted to advancing sustainability solutions and practices in British Columbia. Explore examples of our work throughout our site.
From the Charter for Sustainability comes the Fraser Basin Council’s vision statement:
Social well-being, supported by a vibrant economy
and sustained by a healthy environment
With a history rooted in the Fraser Basin, FBC today supports both province-wide programs and regional initiatives for communities of the Basin and other parts of BC. As reflected in our 2021-2026 Strategic Plan, the mandate of the Fraser Basin Council is:
To advance sustainability solutions and practices in British Columbia
The Fraser Basin Council focuses on three strategic priorities:
- Build Sustainable and Resilient Communities
- Take Action on Climate Change
- Support Healthy Watersheds and Water Resources
Within the three strategic priority areas, the Fraser Basin Council serves in three key roles:
- Facilitator and Strategic Convener
- Program Manager
FBC frequently works with others on sustainability issues and initiatives, including flood management, climate change action and adaptation, air quality improvement, green transportation, healthy watersheds and community sustainability planning.
Our Board and Staff
The Council has 38 Directors: an impartial Chairperson and 37 other Directors who represent the four orders of government — federal, provincial, local and First Nations — as well as the private sector and civil society. This governance structure is one of the first of its kind and a reflection of FBC’s commitment to collaboration.
The FBC Directors set the strategic focus and policies for the Council and take into account principles of the Charter for Sustainability. Their decisions are by consensus.
The Board is supported by a team of over 50 full and part-time staff in regional FBC offices.
The 2021-2026 Strategic Plan
The 2021-2026 Strategic Plan reflects the Council’s strategic priorities, the way in which we carry out our work and how we define success. Inspirational and practical, this is the framework for annual operating plans, partnerships, work plans and all decisions to devote time, money and energy to fulfillment of the Fraser Basin Council’s mandate.
In the plan you’ll find FBC's key areas of focus, together with key objectives and strategies for each, sustainability principles, strategic opportunities and some of the trends we are watching.
There are nine principles important to the work, reflected in our 2021-2026 strategic plan:
- Take a long-term stewardship view
- Foster equity and prosperity for all British Columbians
- Redefine prosperity
- Recognize our dependence on a healthy environment
- Acknowledge that natural resources contribute to social well-being and economic prosperity
- Advance reconciliation in collaboration with Indigenous Nations and Peoples to uphold the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Respect local solutions for local needs
- Implement informed and integrated decision-making
- Take bold and decisive action
Read the Strategic Plan in PDF or see the flipbook below.