What Can you Do?
You can help clear the air! Here are some of the ways.
- Drive less. Consider using sustainable transportation options such as carpooling, transit, cycling or walking whenever possible. If you need to drive, combine errands to reduce the number of trips (& time) you take. Go idle-free. Don’t idle for more than 10 seconds (except in traffic), and reinforce your commitment by making an idle-free pledge.
- Avoid drive-thrus. Rather than waiting in line idling, park and go inside.
- Consider low-emission vehicles. Could an electric, hybrid or other clean energy vehicle work for your family? The City of Kamloops has free, public Electric Vehicle charging stations.
- Burn wood more cleanly. Put an insert in your fireplace and cure your firewood properly. Follow BC Lung’s Burn Smart Tips. If you're replacing your old wood stove, look for a CSA/EPA-certified clean-burning option, or an efficient gas, propane or electric alternative.
- Avoid open burning. Compost organic materials at home or take them to the City's compost facilities. If you do open burn, obey all applicable bylaws (p.14-19) and conditions of permits.
- Manage home heating. Put on a sweater instead of turning up the heat; install a programmable thermostat; keep the heat down when you are away; increase energy efficiency by replacing older windows.
Businesses and Institutions
- Manage your fleet. Encourage and monitor idle-free operations among the drivers in your fleet.
- Consider low-emission vehicles. Consider whether electric, hybrid or other clean energy vehicles could work for your business or institution.
- Carefully choose winter traction material. Consider the impact of dust created from winter traction material, and whether alternates can be used.
- Incentivize sustainable transportation options. Make it easier for your employees to take transit, carpool, bike or walk to work, as well as for travel during the work day.
- Improve energy efficiency. Save on energy costs while reducing emissions related to operating buildings. Here are tips.