What Can you Do?
You can help clear the air! Here are some of the ways.
- Drive less. Consider using sustainable transportation options such as carpooling, transit, cycling or walking whenever possible. If you need to drive, combine errands to reduce the number of trips (& time) you take. Except in traffic, remember to turn off your engine if you're otherwise going to idle for more than 10 seconds. Learn why it's great to Turn Your Key and Be Idle Free!
- Avoid drive-thrus. Rather than waiting in line idling, park and go inside.
- Consider low-emission vehicles. Could an electric, hybrid or other clean energy vehicle work for your family? The City of Kamloops has free, public EV charging stations and has flagged some of the benefits of going electric. Check it out!
- If you burn wood, take steps to burn more cleanly. Put an insert in your fireplace and cure your firewood properly. Three are incentives to switch out old wood stoves for cleaner burning options through the Woodstove Exchange Program — so don't miss out! Learn more about burning cleaner via the online Wood Smoke Education Course, a portal developed by FBC's Prince George team.
- Avoid open burning. Compost organic materials at home or take them to the City's compost facilities. If you do open burn, obey all applicable bylaws (p.14-19) and conditions of permits.
- Manage home heating. Put on a sweater instead of turning up the heat; install a programmable thermostat; keep the heat down when you are away; and increase energy efficiency by replacing older windows.
Businesses and Institutions
- Manage your fleet. If you run a business with work vehicles, encourage and monitor idle-free operations among the drivers in your fleet.
- Consider low-emission vehicles. Consider whether electric, hybrid or other clean energy vehicles could work for your business or institution.
- Carefully choose winter traction material. Consider the impact of dust created from winter traction material, and whether alternates can be used.
- Incentivize sustainable transportation options. Make it easier for your employees to take transit, carpool, bike or walk to work, as well as for travel during the work day.
- Improve energy efficiency. Save on energy costs while reducing emissions related to operating buildings.